Sunday, October 23, 2005

Supporting Christians

Tommy Nelson, pastor of Denton Bible Church, has preached an excellent series on church history. In it he mentions that the early Christians stuck together. Instead of going to a pagan repair man, for instance, they would patronize the Christian business. In short, Christians supported Christians. This got me to thinking about politics, and specifically Harriet Miers. When I found out she was a Christian I was excited to support her, after all, there aren't many Christians on the Supreme Court, and we've got to support our own. Upon further reflection, I became concerned with her lack of experience, and am still wondering whether she was a good choice.

I wonder now, should we as Christians support Christians simply because they are Christian (and of course, I'm talking about good, Bible-believing conservative Christians), and therefore throw our support behind Miers? Or, should we be more concerned with having jurists (or politicians or whatever) who have all of the secular qualifications, and therefore support those judges who may not be Christian, but are definitely ideologically conservative?

2 comments:

Teresa said...

and my question is this: why can't we have both?

Kevin said...

Brian,
A good, common-sense point.