Thursday, October 20, 2005

Some Odds and Ends

A bill in the US House would create a Louisiana Recovery Corporation. That gives me an uneasy feeling. Maybe it'll be a good thing, but I can see where there would be many problems in creating more government to help the Gulf Coast recover.

I've found a great new website that has a round-up of poliltical stories, and it's maintained by C-Span. It's www.capitalnews.org.

I may be changing my tune on Supreme Court nominee Miers. I think I'll wait to give my support (which carries SO much weight, lol) until after the hearings (a novel thought).

And there is a whole passel of Republicans lining up all over the place to run for several open seats in Oklahoma. So, it's going to be an interesting election season here in the Sooner State.

3 comments:

J. Smith said...

Yes, Kevin, Ms. Miers will be devastated to learn that you have temporarily withdrawn your support. I expect that she will call upon my mother (one of her lone supporters) for consolation. *chuckles*

As for the Recovery Corporation - oh boy. We all know how wonderful our postal service is (a government corporation). Now we'll have a government-run corporation in charge of fixing an entire region of the United States? Yikes - they'll run slowly and carry around cans of mace to fight off vicious alligators.

And I'm being completely sacrastic about our postal service - like many of the other government programs, it is abominable.

Teresa said...

sacrastic, sarcastic....potato, potahto...

This has nothing to do with any of the random odds and ends in the post, but I found an interesting Oklahoma law from 1991.
As for Miers, well, you know what I think about her, but I suppose the best course of action is what you have decided to take - wait until after the hearings to decide whether to support/oppose her. And incidentally, while your support of Miers may not carry much weight nationally, you never know what weight it carries locally, so maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the effects of your support/opposition to her ;).
And, one more thing, a question, really: are you going to be keeping us informed of the Republicans running for the open seats in Oklahoma?

Kevin said...

I'll do my best to keep up-to-date on candidates for statewide offices.

And the postal system isn't that bad.