Saturday, September 17, 2005

I Still Believe


Even with the disappointing loss to UCLA this afternoon, my confidence in the Sooners is up. It appears like the team is beginning to click. Bomar had a really good game (compared to last week), the defense was hitting hard, and the secondary showed some improvement. If you take away the foolish turnovers, we would have beat the Bruins. Now with a week off, we'll have time to continue to work on those critical areas, hopefully showing improvement. Thus, I am optimistic going into Big 12 play. I think Bomar will only continue to gain confidence, and if we could beef up our line and get our snapper to give the QB some decent snaps, look out. Bottom line: even with the loss, I don't look at the rest of the season with as much hopelessness as I did last week. Besides, nothing can be worse than 1997, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. optimism is a good thing. And that's all I'll say about that.

Teresa said...

Well, I still want Chuck Long to get some better plays. :) I don't think I can say in writing that I want him fired :). And the little verification whatever on the bottom is annoying - but, I'm guessing it'll cut out all the comments from the advertisers!

Kevin said...

Jerome,
I like the way you view things. However, I'm going to allow this year to be a rebuilding year. Maybe we'll fire the whole team and staff if the same stuff happens next year (although firing Chuck Long may not be such a bad idea...I've been calling for that for four years (not that I'm half as knowledgable about football than Long, I'm just sayin'...)).

As for the word verification: it is annoying, but necessary. I was tired of the spammers.

And I don't think my optimism is misguided, I really see potential. Of course, maybe I'm not wanting to give up on the Sooners.

Teresa said...

Good, don't give up on them. After a day away from the game and from football (okay, maybe not away from football, I confess to watching parts of a couple of NFL games yesterday) and a bit of reflection on the game and football in general, I have a little more optimism about the team also. Plus, I've talked to a few more people who are of the same opinion as you and this opinion may have reached its critical mass and pushed me over the optimism edge (then again, maybe I've always been a closet 'red-sox fan' - I almost always cheer for the underdog - the Packers in 2002; the Kings against the Lakers). At any rate, I'm pretty sure that, if this is a rebuilding year (which it is, in my opinion), we are going to be amazingly good next year.