Monday, September 19, 2005

Evening By Evening

When I get home from work, more often than not, the last thing on my mind is communing with the Creator. Spurgeon sets me straight:

"When the noise and turmoil of the day are over, it is sweet to commune with God. The cool and calm of evening agree most delightfully with prayer and praise. Each evening it would be well to traverse the boundaries of the day and take note of all that it has brought and all that it has seen.

"It is dangerous to fall asleep before the head is leaned on Jesus' bosom. When divine love puts its finger on weary eyelids, it is brave sleeping; but so that the Lord's beloeved may have such sleep given to him, it is necessary that he should make a near approach to the throne and unburden his soul before the great Preserver of men.

"He surely never prays at all who does not end the day as all men wish to end their lives--in prayer."

Morning and Evening, Charles Spurgeon

1 comment:

J. Smith said...

Well said. Personally, when I come home from being at school from 7:15 am till 9:00 at night, I have almost no energy to even eat. Then, I see that bed and want nothing more than to go to sleep. It's hard to make myself actually spend some time in prayer.

Goodness gracious, I wish I could realize every night that I wouldn't even be alive to feel tired if it weren't for Jesus. Thanks for the reminder.