Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Observations From The Candidate Forum

I went to a candidate forum hosted by the Norman Chamber of Commerce. Candidates for District Attorney, County Commissioner, and State House and Senate districts were present. Let me tell you it was a hoot and a holler (yeah, I said it). A few things I noticed: All of the candidates were white. All but three were at least over 40. Only one candidate was female. As for the audience: a majority were at least over 50, majority white (I saw two non-white spectators), and one or two under 30.

The format of the forum was pretty bad. Each candidate was allowed a two minute opening statement and then one minute to answer each question. While this did allow for the candidates to get out a few of their points, it really stifled any meaningful debate. Of course, this is no surprise, because we are in a soundbite culture.

Two other observations: "incentivize" is the new buzzword, and the Main St./I-35 overpass in Norman is the worst overpass in the state, but construction won't start until 2011!

Overall, it was a good experience as I was able to get a better idea of who to vote for come next Tuesday.

No comments: