Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Arab Phobia?

This port deal has caused quite a stir. The Bush administration is pushing to approve a deal that would allow Dubai Ports World, a company owned by the government of the United Arab Emirates, to operate several major ports in America that are currently operated by the British company that was bought by DPW. President Bush has insisted that this deal has been throughly vetted by the administration, and it is safe for this UAE government owned company to operate several major ports.

Many, both Democrats and Republicans, oppose this deal. Their fear is that the national security of the country will be jeopardized by the deal. I think that's a valid point. Two of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were from the UAE. Terrorist money is known to be funneled through UAE banks. That concerns me. I'm concerned by the thought of Islamic terrorists being employed by the company and secretly undermining American security controls. Our ports are already poorly secured according to the 9/11 Commission. Let's not contribute to that by allowing a foreign government to operate American ports.

Is this arab phobia or Islamophobia? Absolutely not. I'm not scared or paranoid of every Arab or Muslim. I'm just concerned that a government with a history of terrorist ties will be controlling our ports. I opposed the UnoCal takeover by China back in October for the same reason: it's not good for a foreign government (in China's case a chief competitior) to control such a large portion of American energy.

In short, I believe this is a major national security issue. While I support President Bush in his efforts to secure America, and I believe him to be very capable in doing this, I believe he is wrong in supporting this deal. Let your voice be heard, oppose this deal.

And if you'd like to read thoughts from those more informed than yours truly, then I suggest traveling to this link at the National Review Online (Thanks Laura!).

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I agree 100%. I think that Bush is trying his darndest to keep our country safe, but I just have to echo a thought from someone else on this - Has he lost his blasted mind?

J. Smith said...

Basicaly, my thought is this:

Bush is acting wiggedy-whack. Not regular whack - wiggedy-whack! Holy cow - is he just trying to take the country down with him? True - he will eventually fall from the sky as the lame-duck that he is, but does he need to completely alienate his base at the same time?

Kevin said...

Hmmmm....wiggedy-whack.....yes, I believe you're right Justin, wiggedy-whack....