Monday, February 20, 2006

AIDS

I came across this documentary film on AIDS called A Closer Walk. I watched the trailer...it definetely looks interesting. When he was CIA director, George Tenet called AIDS one of the greatest threats to national security. I didn't really understand why at the time, but as I see the incredible loss of life associated with AIDS, and how the disease continues to spread (especially in SE Asia including a country near and dear to my heart, Cambodia), I'm beginning to understand why AIDS is such a threat not only to individual people, but to entire countries.

1 comment:

J. Smith said...

AIDS is indeed a tragic disease - and perhaps even more tragic is the fact that the spread of AIDS is something eminently preventable in the vast majority of cases. If people only used restraint (and if those using restraint did some simple research into their intended spouse), the spread of this yet incurable disease could be all but thwarted permanently. The people I really feel extreme sympathy for are those who have contracted AIDS through no fault of their own - rape victims, botched blood transfusion recipients, etc. Still, all victims of the disease are in my prayers.