Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Whew! Now THAT Was A Close Call

Well I learned today that Christmas, that time Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, has avoided what would have been a crushing blow. Target and Sears have informed the American Family Association and other Christian organizations including the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) that they have decided to include references to Christmas in their advertising and in-store signage. Whew! I was beginning to worry that this removal by retailers would cause people to miss the true meaning of Christmas.

As Richard Land, president of the ERLC said, “Maybe it is politically correct these days to replace our true and tried values, but we think a time will come when Target and other businesses will regret their part in destroying the true meaning of Christmas.” Ah yes, the tried and true Christian values of greed and concern for material things. Errr...perhaps you can sense my sarcasm. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Richard Land, he's done much in promoting the Kingdom. But I just don't get this outrage over corporate America's policies on holiday greetings.

The main goal for retailers is to make money, and lots of it. The Christmas season offers the greatest earnings potential. It would seem logical to think that retailers don't want to lose billions of dollars pumped into their treasuries by celebrators of Christmas. This is of course why they reversed their decision on mentioning Christmas in advertising and greetings: Christians (or at least 700,000 people) delcared their intentions to boycott the stores. That brings our first alarm bell to Christians: Businesses rake in more money during Christmas than any other time of the year. That means Christmas is associated more with receiving material things and greed and debt not Christ and Christian virtues like, oh I don't know, not being greedy. So much for remembering the Reason for the season.

Secondly, Target and Sears and other retailers serve a diverse clinetele. While it is true that were it not for Christmas, there would be no holiday season, we must also recognize that not every shopper celebrates Christmas. Now, something tells me a Jew or atheist could care less whether they were told Merry Christmas. They've probably come to just deal with that. But I see nothing wrong with a business wanting to incorporate a greeting (Happy Holidays) to include Christmas, Chanunaka, Kwanza, and New Year's (as well as any other holiday under the sun celebrated during the month of December) to make others feel welcome.

People have been boycotting and threatening to boycott stores who cut Christmas from their marketing. I wonder if those same people will boycott bookstores that sell gay and lesbian books, Islamic and atheistic literature, and racy magazines. I also wonder whether these same boycotters will boycott when they ponder the fact that retailers thrive off of, and consequently promote and encourage, greed. Will they boycott when they consider that very little of the Christmas season mentions anything about Jesus? This is all about a saying, a generic greeting! Those who are in such a hysteria over these practices seem to be accepting the de-Christianization of Christmas in favor of corporate genuflects to celebrators of "greedmas".

Now, I'm no saint. I deal with greed and materialism, too. But, I do think I would feel proud if I read a corporate America memo explaining that there's no need to recognize Christmas, because the celebrators of the holiday have rediscovered the real meaning behind it, and it has nothing to do with buying STUFF!

Am I off my rocker?

Government inclusion of Christmas is a different story...

Meanwhile, about 3,638 babies were aborted in America today. At least Target will tell us "Merry Christmas."

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Biggs,
Thanks for your comments. You are right in saying increase in buying does not equal capitalism. In my rush, I chose not to develop that point. But let's be honest, think of all of the stuff that is bought during the holiday season. Maybe this doesn't signal an increase in greed, perhaps it shows the extent that materialism has overtaken the holiday (and outside of the holiday).

Now, you are very much on target (no pun intended) in saying that you and other consumers have every right not to shop at stores you don't like. I'm not debating that point. What I'm getting at is the mass hysteria that has been worked up over this whole issue from Christian and pro-family groups.

As for my solution for abortion: Ban it. Simple, huh? In all seriousness, no, I don't have a plan for banning abortion...I just like to point out statistics every once and a while on a range of topics...it helps me keep things in perspective.