Monday, July 11, 2005

God's Sovereign Choice

Do you ever think why God has placed you where you are? I mean, out of all of the places He could have picked, He chose to put you here. Kind of amazing when you think about it. I think that there must be an eternal reason that I am where I am. After all, I could have been born in France and drink wine and eat cheese while smoking a cig in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. Or I could have been raised in Sudan and be fleeing the Arab militia--the Janjaweed--while scrounging for food. Instead, I'm in the heart of prosperous America with a great college education, a terrific church with challenging Christian training, and friends and family who love me. Some strange twist of fate? I think not.

Yes, here in America we've got it good. America is the richest, most powerful country known to mankind. Our government has the ability to change the course of history. We can save lives and we can take them. We can spread freedom and liberate millions from oppression. The United States government has global power. How should we use that power? Should we close off from the rest of the world protecting ourselves as best as we can by not getting involved in anything outside of America? Should we cease promoting freedom and liberty and pull out of places like Iraq and Afghanistan? I don't believe so. I think God has specifically blessed America to be a beacon of hope and light to others. Yes, I believe, along with John Winthrop and Ronald Reagan, that America is a city upon a hill (Matt 5:14). I don't think that we have become what we are by just happenstance--by Darwinian evolution. As Uncle Ben exhorts Peter Parker in Spider Man, "with great power comes great responsibility." I think God has given us great power for a reason. We ought to use it for good. I don't mean we should become a theocracy and promote Christianity throughout the globe while fighting a holy war with Islam. Rather, I think there are good deeds we can do as a country. We can show mercy and act justly not only to our citizens but also to the world. We can fight for justice and encourage freedom to flourish as we are in Iraq and Afghanistan. We can work to prevent genocides so that we do not have another Rwanda or Sudan occur on our watch. There are many things our country can do as we seek to be good stewards of what God has given us.

As individuals we have tremendous power. Of course, because we are a republic in America, we can become involved in the political process, working for change through the government. However, there's more outside of government. As I think of being blessed with great training at the OU BSU and Trinity Baptist Church, I think there is a special God-ordained reason for that. Why am I the one who received this and not somebody else from my hometown? A special responsibility or gift has been given to me. Now I must be faithful with that gift. Whether its taking the Gospel to the Middle East or to neighborhoods in Norman, God calls me to be faithful to Him.

The point I mean to make is that we are not just here in this place by chance. God has a reason to place us here. It is our job to serve and be faithful. I have been given so much, and much will be expected of me. Will I accept the call?

"'Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.'" Luke 16:10.

3 comments:

Teresa said...

You know, I think sometimes I really need that reminder. Although, unfortunately, I need it more often that I'd like to need it :). I think you make a good point about the freedom and training, etc. that one can have in Norman and in many other places in the U.S. - we are truly blessed, and must, as you say, respond to that awesome gift with an equally awesome sense of responsibility. Isn't it great that God does bless so abundantly and allows us to be part of His plan instead of wandering around this world with nothing more than hedonism as our goal?

Holly said...

Hey Kevin! Very good post. Every time I travel to new places, I think to myself, "this street is unfamiliar--it is foreign to my eyes, but for someone who lives in that house, this is home, this is familiar." It makes me realize how many billions of people on the earth that I have never encountered or know. And as new friends come into my life and then become dear to me, I think of how sad I would be if I had never known they existed. God is the one who brings people into our lives and He is the ones who takes them out. All for His glory.

ouchadjones said...

Great Quote from Spider-Man! Are you trying to get a comment out of me? Well, it worked! Anyway, sorry I didn't read this sooner, I agree, in fact check out my blog on George Bush and his place in World History and what that has to do with Christ.