Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Faith Of Londoners

GetReligion reports this from veteran religion journalist and European Uwe Siemon-Netto talking about the differences between Washington DC's response to 9/11 and London's response to the recent bombings:

"But here’s the difference: in Washington, people poured into churches and synagogues. In London, they rushed to the pubs by the hundreds of thousands.
Now, I am no teetotaler. Drowning one’s grief in ample amounts of beer or wine is no exclusive English trait but simply a very human reaction, though not exactly the wisest.
Yet I was appalled to find only four other people kneeling in my favorite London church, Saint Paul’s, Knightsbridge, when I went there that bloody Thursday afternoon, saddened even more when I discovered that these four were not even English but faithful visitors from Ohio."

No comments: