Monday, September 18, 2006

Irony of Ironies

Here is a copy of the email I sent to the Council on American-Islamic Relations regarding this eruption in violence over the Pope's coments:

Salaam alaykum,
I am a Christian and I have a deep love for Muslims. However, I cannot help but be dismayed when I consider the reactions made in regards to the Pope's comments of last week and the lack of condemnation in the Muslim community. I am not a universalist, I believe that Christianity is the true religion. While I believe in spreading the Gospel to all, I don't believe in conversion by the sword. Violence, according to the God I serve is wrong. If fellow Christians act out in violence against someone or some group I condemn that. My question is, why has CAIR and other Muslim organizations and imams not condemned the widespread violence that has erupted across the Muslim world? The claim that just a handful of Muslims are
reacting this way is entirely false, I believe. After all, this is not the first time this violence has erupted from those who dare to go against Islam (the Miss World controversy in 2002 and Danish cartoons to name a few from recent memory). While so many try to say Islam is a religion of peace, it's adherents and it's holy book say something completely different (like Surah 9). I do not hate Muslims, in fact I will continue to pray for Muslims. On the other hand, the reactions by thousands, if not millions of Muslims to these comments seems to indicate a deep hatred toward Christians and only proves the point that Islam is not a religion of peace. I call
upon CAIR to speak out against these scary, extreme reactions by many in the
Islamic community.
Thank you for your time,


Teresa has a much more logical and pithy entry on this whole escapade, check it out.

No comments: